So, I did it! I searched the web for advice, found lots, then got myself another blog - http://sheiladeethhome.blogspot.com - and tried to set it up as my home page.
(The most helpful advice I found was from Camy Tang, a pdf on how to blog your website - highly recommended.)
1. I want my "posts" to appear like separate pages, not all down the screen, so I set the new blog up with 1 post per page, and enabled post pages under archiving. I think that was so I could find and edit (and link to) each page separately, but I'm not sure. I'm just a beginner. It's what the pages I looked at said I should do.
2. I want the "welcome" post that I put on my home page to keep appearing there. But blogs always show the newest post first. So I use the "post options" button at the bottom of each new post and set the date to sometime in the past. It's really neat.
3. I don't want dates appearing my web pages, so I edited my layout and used the "edit" option in the "blog posts" box to take them away.
4. I wanted the links I made yesterday to go to pages on the new "site." So I wrote more posts (or web pages)and pasted their addresses into the text box - I changed some of the names as well.
5. And finally I wanted a way to access my blog posts by topic from my site. I used SEARCH BLOG to find the right posts, and added them as links in my new pages.
I've lots more stuff to do I'm sure, but this is much more fun than looking for a job. Thanks for dropping by, and please let me know what you think.