Top Tips to an Unstoppable Book Release
I'm delighted to welcome author S. R. Johannes back to my blog today with a wonderful post, celebrating the release of her latest novel, Unstoppable, and offering generous advice to the rest of us on how to make our own book releases "unstoppable." Thank you so much Shelli, and I know I shall refer back to this post over and again when my next book comes out.
"Top tips to a great book release”
With millions of books in circulation, it is harder than ever to stand out. So every author needs to do everything they can to help.
To get a start, there are some things you can do in advance of our book release date to start reaching out.
1. Define your own success. Every book is different. Find out what will work for your book and do it.
2. Create a budget. Know what you can spend and prioritize your marketing dollars to the best things.
3. Plan for your actual launch date as much as you can. Once you know a date – decide if you are going to do a launch and where it will be (ie online, bookstore, charity event etc)
4. Set up your web site. Every author needs a professional web site. It is easy to do and if you can’t do it yourself there are many people who can do it for you at an affordable price.
5. Get on social media. Choose the top 3 things and be consistent about using them. You don’t have to do them all but do the one you choose really, really well. Be sure not to talk yourself and always support other people first.
6. Start building solid relationships. This takes time. Make real connections and always approach people with “what you can do for them” in mind first – not what they can do for you.
7. Figure out your top 5 target audiences and map out how to reach them and where. You may have more but pick the top and most direct ones first.
8. Create your DETAILED marketing plan – down to the day. This can go from one year down to the day. You should have a plan for each target audience with dates, contacts and ho you will reach them.
9. Contact bloggers/blog tour – bloggers need time to plan, read book, and help create buzz. Don’t wait too late and always check their review/blog tour policies. You may want to find a good one and pay them to handle this for you.
10. Plan special giveaways – Goodreads, on your web site, blog etc.
11. Plan and keep up with the details of your launch day activities – come up with a tagline or contests everyone will remember. Will you do it online or have a physical launch?
12. Create a press release and reach out to media channels – start with local, regional and then national. Make sure your press release is targeted toward your media outlets.
13. Book library and school signings – you should book these about 6 months in advance.
14. Find book fairs and conferences – you should book these about 6 months to a year in advance.
15. In the downtime (yeah right) – start writing another book. The date will sneak up on your before you realize a year has gone by and you haven’t written a thing.
16. Create swag and marketing materials to hand out. What do you need for your target audiences – bookmarks for libraries, bookplates to send to readers, themed giveaways (make sure you plan for these items in your budget! It can add up).
17. Launch and breathe :).
18. Create an ongoing plan that helps you keep the momentum even after your launch date!
19. Don’t forget to send out your thank yous, giveaways, and prizes to bloggers and contest entries! It can slip away from you.
20. Celebrate!! Your book came out!
The key to getting ready for a launch is starting in advance. Do a little every day to avoid the stress of waiting until the last minute.
And for those who don’t like to market, just think about how long it took you to write the book and focus on getting that book into readers’ hands.
After all, that’s why you wrote it to begin with!
Indeed it is. Thank you so much for this great list. And here's that Unstoppable book... next in the Nature of Grace series. It comes after Untraceable, Unspeakable and Uncontrollable, (click on the links for my reviews)
After everything that has happened, Grace goes to the Everglades to live with her grandmother, Birdee. Even though she is now home-schooled by her bird-obsessed grandmother, the move gives Grace time to relax. She learns to scuba dive and starts boating with old man Rex, Birdee’s casual friend/boyfriend.
One day while out in the marshes of the Everglades, Grace rescues an abused Florida panther, currently on the endangered list. The more she dives into the animal’s horrific condition, the more she ventures into the underground world of the roadside zoos that run rampant in Florida with a total disregard for the law. Eventually, she stumbles upon one large roadside zoo filled with a variety of endangered and illegal animals.
Before she can gather evidence and report her findings to the authorities, she is kidnapped by the ruthless owner and dragged deep into the Everglades for a hunting challenge. Only this time, Grace is the prey.
During a sick game of cat and mouse, Grace is offered one chance at survival. With a one-hour head start and very little supplies, time and skill are now all that stands between the hunter and the hunted.
About the author:
S.R. Johannes is the award-winning author of the Amazon bestselling thriller series, the Nature of Grace (Untraceable and Uncontrollabl
e). Unstoppable (book
3) is scheduled for May/June 2014. S.R. Johannes is currently repped by
Lara Perkins at ABLA. For foreign rights on the Nature of Grace series,
contact Jennifer Custer at AM Heath (London).
S.R. Johannes is the YA advisor of ALLi and a winner of the 2012 IndieReader Discovery Awards (Young Adult category) as well as a Silver medalist (2nd place) in the IPPY awards for YA Fiction. She was also nominated for 2012 Georgia Author of the Year (Young Adult category), a Finalist in The Kindle Book Review’s Best Young Adult of 2012, and a YA Finalist in the US Book News Best Book of 2012.
After earning an MBA and working in corporate America doing marketing for over 15 years (Spanx and Good hair Products were my fav because of the perks :), S.R. Johannes traded in her expensive suits, high heels, and corporate lingo for a family, flip-flops, and her love of writing. She lives in Atlanta, Georgia with her dog, English-accented husband, and the huge imaginations of their little prince and princess, which she hopes- someday- will change the world.