It's sunny and it's summer. The wind is quiet. The fall is yet to come. But leaves are slowly beginning to turn and pine trees are dropping needles underfoot. Wind and winter are coming.
Don't Let the Wind Catch You is the title of Aaron Paul Lazar's recently released novel, the latest in
his beloved Gus LeGarde series of great mystery adventures. Earlier books are anchored by a pleasing family man--father, grandfather, friend--retired and enjoying the scenery and sometime peace of the Genesee Valley. But Grandfather Gus was once a twelve year old boy, on the cusp of adulthood, and Don't Let the Wind Catch You promises great coming of age mysteries and adventures from an earlier time, plus cross-generational enjoyment.
Gus’s best friend’s twin sister “didn’t scare easily now she was eleven,” says the author, and Gus doesn’t scare too easily either in this effortlessly evocative and haunting middle-grade/teen/adult novel. Quick sure writing with a clear young-teen point of view sets the scene of time and place. Three friends ride horses in the Genesee Valley, in a 1950s world where Mexican food was a new experience, neighbors were friends, and doors weren’t always locked. Mothers cook. Fathers go out to work. And the long summer stretches ahead of the children with all its promise and fun. But when Gus meets a strange old hermit in the forest, the past becomes more important than the future. Why does his sweet kind mother dislike the man so much? Who is the man’s mysteriously silent friend? And what really happened in that long-ago battle commemorated in stone?
Blending wonderful real-world detail with ghostly mystery and vivid characters, the writing pulls in readers of any age and offers wisdom beautifully cloaked in storytelling drama. Children’s fantasy, history’s error, and adult’s unthinking judgments all combine to make this a story filled with generous spirit and powerful authenticity. There’s a thoroughly pleasing, thought-provoking honesty in these characters, and a truly enticing mystery to be solved, all convincingly wound around the thoughts of a young boy experiencing his first kiss, enjoying the music on his first transistor radio, and, for the most part, obeying his parents just as a young boy should.
Disclosure: I love the author’s books and jumped at the chance to read and review a free ecopy of this one during the blog tour.
• Bridges the gap between YA and adult ala Harry Potter
• “Suspenseful, satisfying, well-crafted, mood-capturing, for both adults and children.”
• Will appeal to readers who crave adventure, who love horses, the sea, or the outdoors, and who may be curious/nostalgic about children’s lives in 1965.
• Will appeal to teachers and parents who want to impart anti-bullying, anti-bigotry behavior; including compassion and acceptance in a thoughtful, sensitive manner.
• Will appeal to mystery buffs who loved the award-winning Tremolo: cry of the loon featuring Gus LeGarde in a prequel to the series in 1964.
• Showcases goodness, morality, understanding, acceptance, courage, persistence, and love.
• Readers can forget today’s furious Internet-driven scene and maybe evoke a few of their own comforting childhood memories and adventures
When young Gus LeGarde befriends a cranky old hermit in the woods who speaks to an Indian spirit, he wonders if the man is nuts. But when the ghostly Penni rattles tin cups, draws on dusty mirrors, and flips book pages, pestering him to find evidence to avenge her past, things change.
What Gus doesn’t understand is why his mother hates Tully, until his relentless investigation uncovers a hint of scandal about Tully and Gus’s grandfather, Marlowe Wright.
On horseback, Gus and his friends ride through woods overlooking Conesus Lake to Tully’s abandoned house, reportedly still infected with the Genesee Valley Fever from the 1700s. Unafraid, they enter and find shocking evidence that could rewrite history.
Can Gus convince his mother to forgive Tully? And will the proof he found free Penni’s spirit?
BUY NOW LINKS:
· Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Let-Wind-Catch-ebook/dp/B00ECNEOTE/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1376403785&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=Dont+let+the+wind+cath+you
· Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dont-let-the-wind-catch-you-aaron-paul-lazar/1116333937?ean=2940148693291
Giveaway code a Rafflecopter giveaway