It's February. I'm supposed to be frantically writing book 3 of Hemlock for our writers' group challenge. But I promised my Mum I'd publish my next book of children's short stories soon, so I finally agreed to stop putting off reformatting it...
...and finally remembered why I'd stopped in the first place. 44 stories is okay - a few cut and pastes, file > page setup > set margins and headers and footers so they don't overlap, set the gutter, apply to all sections (and wonder where sections came from), edit the stories - start even, end odd - then you're done. I remember struggling to make the page numbers appear on the contents list - turned out it had hardwired the page-size in when I switched from docx to doc. But, as I said, easy enough.
That was Genesis People, last January, just before my Mum went back to England the last time. This one's Psalms and Parables, and she's going back on Thursday. There's one hundred and fifty psalms and a story for each - 305 pages! And there's sections on top of sections on top of firsts and lasts that were meant to be intermediate. I change the header and the page-count jumps. I stop viewing headers and it goes back, except for one story that's turned out too long, so I fix it and another one looks wrong.
I'm dreaming tails on tales... but I did it at last! I've finished reformatting it; 305 pages, 6x9 inches, headers, footers, gutters, each story fitting on a two-page spread. It kind of looks like a book. And Lulu would even give me 15% off my order if I try to buy it today. But I've still got to proofread and that'll take more than a while.
Back to editing.
Back to Hemlock, soon.
Nah, back to a nice hot cup of tea.